3 CHEESE MAC AND CHEESE
We found this recipe at Food & Wine magazine many years ago and the only difference is we cook it on a Primo Grill or Pellet grill which gives it a smokey flavor, which is awesome. This Mac And Cheese can be baked on either the Memphis Wood Fired pellet grill or the Primo lump charcoal smoker. We have made it on each and the only difference is the Primo will give it a little bit more smokey flavor.
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- Primo Grill or Memphis Pellet Grill
- 1 1/2 ponds penne pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- One 10-ounce log of goat cheese
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- salt and ground white pepper
- 3 large egg yokes
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat grill or smoker to 400 degrees. Butter a 10 inch cast iron skillet (or we have used a disposable aluminum pan).
In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta until al dente and then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer with the onion and garlic. Transfer 1 cup of the cream to a bowl and whisk in the flour; return the mixture to the saucepan. Whisk over moderate heat until thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the goat cheese, cheddar and half of the Parmigiano until melted. Whisk in the sour cream, parsley, thyme and zest and season with salt and white pepper. In a bowl, gradually whisk 1 cup of the sauce with the egg yolks, then whisk the mixture into the saucepan.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Spread the pasta in the cast-iron skillet and sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano. Bake for about 45 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Let the mac and cheese rest for 15 minutes, then serve.